Friday, August 05, 2005

Tissue


Tissue exposes the movements of autonomous software machines. Each line in the image reveals the path of each machine's movement as it responds to stimuli in its environment. People interact with the software by positioning the stimuli on the screen. Through exploring different positions of the stimuli, an understanding of the total system emerges from the subtle relations between the simple input and the resulting fluid visual output.

Casey Reas writes software to create drawings and live animated installations. His work explores the relationship between naturally evolved systems and engineered synthetic systems; often times, precise mechanical structures give birth to soft organic forms. He is also the other main developer of processing, a project which he initiated together with Ben Fry.

I just wish one day I'll be able to achieve such a high level in programming. I actually had the chance to meet him last year during the Sonic Acts X festival in Paradiso (Amsterdam). I was very surprised, because I was so impressed by his work that I thought I will meet "God" or something close to it. And he was just a nice guy doing his stuff... nothing extraordinary.... that was amazing! I just love when very talented people achieved to make you believ there is nothing extraordinary about what they're doing.